Hiring is our single most important responsibility we have as a business. We have an intensive process to make certain we excel in this vital practice. To succeed all you need to do is show up authentically and be yourself. We promise to do the same.
Dry Farm Wines is the world’s premier Natural Wine company. We curate the highest quality Natural Wines from small family growers around the world. Every wine meets a set of strict criteria, including organic farming practices, lower alcohol levels, no sugar, and delicious taste.
Our mission is to share these extraordinary Natural Wines with people around the world, helping people connect with authenticity and love. We work exclusively with small family farms who share our respect for Nature’s beauty, complexity, and diversity. At the heart of it all, we believe we must be the change we want to see in the world. We intentionally seek to become more conscious and extraordinary every day, both as individuals and as a collective Dry Farm Wines Family.
In our first few years, we were showered in abundance! Our Membership grew faster than we ever expected, making us one of the fastest growing private companies in the U.S. We’ve been doing everything possible to keep up while having a lot of FUN in the process! We get paid to enjoy and share wine ;-)
To keep the wine flowing and to drive our voice further, we need more help.
That’s why we’re looking for a Compliance Manager to join our team.
We are looking for someone to help us with compliance responsibilities so we can continue to share the Dry Farm Wines ethos and purpose with our community.
Benefits of working with DFW
This is the best place to work in the world. If it wasn’t, the rest of us wouldn’t be here.
The benefits of joining this team are vast. Here are a few:
- Unlimited pure Natural Wine. Need we say more?
- Competitive compensation packages, above industry standard.
- Fully paid health insurance, including vision and dental.
- Fully paid gym membership at a facility of your choosing.
- Huge opportunities to expand your responsibilities and position as the company continues to rapidly grow.
- Frequent wine tastings of wines from around the world.
- Many all expense paid meals and parties!
- Travel and free attendance to events we sponsor.
- Living in the most beautiful place in the world - Napa Valley. We live where the rest of the world dreams of going on vacation.
- Company vacation days around major holidays, and a vacation and expense policy that just asks you to act in the best interest of yourself, your Family here, and the organization. We believe in taking care of ourselves. Only by caring for ourselves can we care for others.
- Most importantly, the opportunity to hang with the DFW Family on a daily basis. We are a lot of fun, and we push the boundaries of possibility daily in helping each other grow and in our service to others.
- Every single person you will work with is an elite performer. Not just some, but all. Everyone here is a rockstar at what they do and has a deep dedication to being the best in their craft.
Roles and Responsibilities
You’ll be working with Dalton, Erika, Chandler, and Hayden to navigate the complexity and nuance of the compliance landscape. This goes beyond simply filing returns! Your main responsibility is to be the owner of Dry Farm Wines’ regulatory compliance; sales tax, duties, excise tax, COLA filing, tariffs, and continuing education. This position will largely be split into two related but distinct capacities.
Direct Import Compliance and Logistics:
- Prepare and submit COLA waivers
- Arrange Customs Entry Documentation
- Monitor trade policies specifically as they relate to import tariffs
- Track and prepare CA BOE tax
- Submit CBMA refund request
- Work with Logistics and Accounting Departments for timely payments of duties and taxes
Sales and Use Tax:
- Stay up to date on SALT rules and regulations
- Continuously monitor NEXUS rules and thresholds
- Maintain jurisdiction setup in Avalara
- Prepare and file sales, use, and excise tax returns
- Ensure continued compliance in states with NEXUS
- Periodic audits to ensure continued compliance
Requirements to Apply
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the field of Accounting, Logistics, or Compliance
- Advanced excel skills and adapt well to new technology
- Expertise in research and digesting complex information including tax code, case law, and revenue proceedings
- Ability to navigate nuanced bureaucratic processes in various states
- Strong data analytics skills
Attributes of the ideal candidate
When we think about the ideal person for this role, a few attributes come to mind.
Here are the main ones ⭐️:
- You’re passionate
- You’re a lover
- You’re empathetic
- You’re a problem solver
- You’re a rockstar communicator
- You’re an amazing researcher
- You’re resourceful
- You’re organized
- You’re calm under pressure
- You’re a wine-lover and health-advocate
- You’re able to see beyond the numbers
- You’re able to anticipate what comes next
We consider ourselves more than a wine company. At Dry Farm Wines, we are a Family that believes in the power of optimal health, good taste, artisan farmers, and a strong community. We meditate together daily, share health advice, indulge in artistic creation, travel to source wines, host large family dinners, and share our love of pure Natural Wines. For us, this is not a business; it’s a lifestyle.
We have a cultural document called the Peace & Profit Manifesto. To better understand us and our DFW culture, here are some of our beliefs.
We Love the people we work with.
We call ourselves a Family, and this includes all of us, our significant others, Partners, Growers, and Members. As a Family, we frequently dine together, cook together, and travel together. All of us - including spouses, partners, and +1s - are loved unconditionally. This love and support is our highest value. We radiate this love to each other and, collectively, we radiate the light of this love to the world around us.
Like all healthy families, we also promote and value private time. We support time away to grow with our significant others and time to reflect and recharge for ourselves. We protect each other’s private time and encourage the quiet space needed to grow individually.
We are Creators.
We are obsessed with excellence in our Craft. We all share a deep commitment to both our specialized crafts (i.e. marketing, member experience, accounting, etc) and to the contribution we make to what we call “The Merge” of collective craft.
Mastering our craft requires focus and sharp execution. Supporting everyone else in the development of their craft requires respect and selfless support. As such, when we are individually creating, the environment is quiet, earbuds are often in, and our energy is channeled into the process of creation. If there are conversations, they're about creative output. Our creative energy is maximized when we are "in the zone".
We believe in the harmony of Peace & Performance.
We seek to maximize our creative output while upholding collective peace. We seek a harmony of peace and performance. Our peace provides the freedom to create at our highest frequency. Our creative output is how we share more peace and harmony with our Community and our world. Our lives are a blend of these two values. Our Family life is an outrageously big celebration of life. We turn up the volume. Our Creation time is an intensely focused and finely-tuned machine of productivity and output.
We are Self-Directed.
We are all self-directed, ready to take action without being told what to do. We know failures and mistakes will happen, but we are able to stand back up, take action to recover rapidly, learn, adapt, and continue moving forward.
We always seek to act in the best interest of everyone in the family, ourselves, the organization, and our Members. We act with heart and love. We are all proactive and self-motivated. When there is trash on the floor, we pick it up. When there is a dirty plate in the sink, we clean it. We understand that freedom and autonomy require a high practice of discipline and trust.
We believe in Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion.
Love and Inclusion are our most important values. We are proud to be a Family who believes in love, nonjudgement, and acceptance of all people, no matter anyone’s gender, race, sexual orientation, or background.
As our growers say, underneath a vineyard, everything is connected. Vine roots support each other and share nutrients. Growth happens as one single ecosystem. This is our view of humanity, too. We love our neighbors. We value non-judgement and integrity. We believe we are far stronger together.
We seek to be Extraordinary.
We don’t want to be ordinary; we want to be extraordinary - in our passion, our commitment, our craft, our service, our achievements, and our impact. We love to pull each other up to higher levels of performance.
We take pride not only in being the BEST OF CLASS at what we do; we are focused on being the NEXT OF CLASS at our craft. We are creative leaders. We are category makers.
As you consider your opportunity with us, we hope these guiding thoughts help you determine if our Family is the right fit. You will know, and we will know. From there, we create magic.
DFW Culture Requirements
As you’ll quickly learn, we are VERY passionate about our culture. Finding someone with the right culture fit is just as critically important to us as the ideal attributes above.
Our culture is not negotiable. We love it too much. ❤️
If you are uncomfortable with anything we do, that’s okay. We might not be the best fit for you. But if you read this and jump with excitement, then let’s continue:
- We meditate and practice open gratitude as a team daily
- We often use words like “soulful”, “spiritual”, “love”, “abundance”, “grateful”, “truth”, and “universe”.
- We are all biohackers, working daily to improve our health and performance.
- We are all passionate about what we eat, and many follow a Ketogenic or Paleo diet. (not required)
- We are wildly passionate about wine, healthy living, and the TASTE of everything.
- We protect our mornings. Our office opens at 10am. We start with a 30-60 minute team meditation, gratefulness practice, group visualization, and family meeting looking at our day together. We then work passionately to delight our customers and improve their lives.
- We spend a lot of time together, eat a lot of our meals together, and are deeply committed to helping each other develop personally and professionally.
- We are authentic, understanding, reliable, and loving to our Members and to each other.
- We think big.
- We are willing to be vulnerable
- We celebrate unique individuality.
- We are not afraid to make mistakes
- We are proactive and are all able to take action without much direction
- We live with deep passion and transformational action.
- We are caring and non-judgmental
- We value diversity
Note: We are located in Napa, CA ☀️. If you don’t already live in Napa, with this role, you get to relocate here! It’s pretty incredible to live where other people vacation 😁. Because our impact and abundance relies strongly on the development of this unique culture, we know we can make the most transformational impact by being together.
To help us both determine if we’re the right fit for each other, we created this list of questions.
Please send your answers to us in PDF format in an email to “email@example.com”. Each answer should only be a few sentences at most. No essays needed. Just short and concise.
Please include the Job Title in the subject line. Please also include your resume in your response.
If you have any questions about this questionnaire or the ongoing interview process, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Here are the questions.
- What excites you about taking on the Compliance Manager role at Dry Farm Wines?
- If you’re hired, what are 2 things you are good at that you can apply in your first three months without very much help or a large budget and would make the Dry Farm Wines media better?
- Describe your professional experience as it relates to successfully maintaining compliance and ensuring continued compliance?
- You’re tasked with an exposure analysis in the hypothetical situation that our sales tax calculation software goes down. Please ATTACH in a separate file, an outline for how you would approach designing this analysis, executing it, and measuring its success.
- What systems, technologies, and apps are you comfortable using in your day to day life to get stuff done? (Examples: Google Docs, Excel, Trello, etc)
- Admitting failure is tough, but failure is a significant learning experience for us. What is a significant failure you have experienced recently and what did you learn?
- What is one professional and one personal goal you hold for the next 1-3 years?
- Describe a change you’ve seen in yourself over the last 5 years that you love.
- What’s your relationship with health & wellness?
- Describe what the following words mean to you:
- What makes you unique or weird?
- What is a personal hobby you cherish?
- What’s your experience with wine (if any)?
- Are you willing to relocate to Napa? How do you envision your life in Napa?
- Anything else you’d like to touch on that we didn’t ask? The floor is yours...
Now that you’ve submitted the questionnaire and resume, here’s what to expect:
- Application Review. We’ll review your questionnaire and resume and follow up with you within a week.
- Meet & Greet Call. We’ll schedule a brief 15-min interview on Zoom.
- Group Call. We’ll then schedule a 30 minute call with more people from the team. It’s a chance for us to get to know you better, and for you to better know us and our business.
- Project Review. We will assign you a specific project that will help us understand your work product. It will be a project within your area of hire. Then we will schedule a 45 minute video interview to review the project.
- Social Hour. We’ll ship you a box of wine and schedule a social hour! It’s a more casual time to share a glass of wine and get to know each other better. If you have a significant other, we would love for them to join this call as well, at least for a few minutes. Because we’re all so close, we would love for your significant other to meet us too!
- Napa Visit (or Virtual Visit). If we’re all still a good fit for each other, we’ll bring you to Napa for an in-person working interview, or we’ll schedule a “virtual visit” if travel doesn’t work. This is a two day process. You’ll meet many of us and work closely with a group of us on a project that closely resembles what the day-to-day would be like. You will get an intimate close look at us, and how we live and work together to create magic. All expenses are hosted by us for both you and your significant other if they will be relocating with you.
- Together, we will determine next steps.
We deeply appreciate you investing the time to learn about us and share your thoughts and life with us.
With Much Love and Gratitude,
Todd, David, Juan, Tony, Luen, Mark, Ramzy, Gio, Buckley, Megan, Jon, Erika, Shawn, Devin, Cesar, Beno, Kayla, David, Mandy, Ximena, Jasiel, Omar, Kristian, Corey, Alex, Rae, Lindsay, Jimmy, Troy, Yannik, Barbara, Viviana, Aaron, Dalton, Scott, Jarod, Alexis, Hugo, Jesus, Alejandro, Rosa, Lauryn, Brittannie, Jason, Victor, Erin, Arran, Jonatan, Rush, Alex, Bryan, Juan, Christian, Nyllan, Enrique, Amairany, Salomon, James, Lanny, Maria, Angela, Sarita, Teagan, Sarah, Erica, Jenna, Nemy, Hayden, Shelby, Grace, Janee, Chandler, Becca, and Isaiah