Hiring is the single most important responsibility we have as a business. We have an intensive process to ensure we excel in this vital practice. It’s a huge decision for us and for you. To succeed, all you need to do is show up authentically and be yourself. We promise to do the same.
Dry Farm Wines is the world’s premier Natural Wine company. We curate the highest quality Natural Wines from small family growers around the world. Every wine meets a set of strict criteria, including organic farming practices, lower alcohol levels, no sugar, and delicious taste.
Our mission is to share these extraordinary Natural Wines with people around the world, helping people connect with authenticity and love. We work exclusively with small family farms who share our respect for Nature’s beauty, complexity, and diversity. At the heart of it all, we believe we must be the change we want to see in the world. We intentionally seek to become more conscious and extraordinary every day, both as individuals and as a collective Dry Farm Wines Family.
In our first few years, our Membership grew faster than we ever expected. We’ve been doing everything possible to keep up while having a lot of FUN in the process! We get paid to enjoy and share wine ;-)
To keep the wine flowing and to drive our voice further, we need more help.
That’s why we’re now looking for a creative, passionate, well-organized, and detail-oriented Video Editor to join our team. You will be responsible for organizing, editing, and producing videos/photos/gifs for internal and external purposes. As video has become one of the best ways for communicating Dry Farm Wines’ messages on online platforms, your position will play an important role in our company's success.
Benefits of working with DFW
This is the best place to work in the world. If it wasn’t, the rest of us wouldn’t be here.
The benefits of joining this team are vast. Here are a few:
- Unlimited pure Natural Wine. Need we say more?
- Frequent wine tastings of wines from around the world.
- Many all expense paid meals and parties!
- Huge opportunities to expand your responsibilities and position as the company continues to rapidly grow.
- Living in the most beautiful place in the world - Napa Valley. We live where the rest of the world dreams of going on vacation.
- Company vacation days around major holidays, and a vacation and expense policy that just asks you to act in the best interest of yourself, your Family here, and the organization. We believe in taking care of ourselves. Only by caring for ourselves can we care for others.
- Fully paid health insurance, including vision and dental.
- Generous 401k, Profit Sharing, and Defined Benefit plans available to you.
- Paid gym membership.
- Most importantly, the opportunity to hang with the DFW Family on a daily basis. We are a lot of fun, and we push the boundaries of possibility daily in helping each other grow and in our service to others.
- Every single person you will work with is an elite performer. Not just some, but all. Everyone here is a rockstar at what they do and has a deep dedication to being the best in their craft.
About this Role
You will work directly with Shawn, Sarah, Kayla, Buckley, Scott, Rush, and Becca. They are a passionate bunch, working in all things creative and media. They have a deep obsession for producing world class media. They now need an additional Editor who can join them in inspired creative expansion. You will help communicate our message of the world’s best Natural Wine to potential members as well as reinforce our message to existing members. It is a wonderfully rewarding and challenging department of the business that is always reaching new heights.
Your mission will be to help us touch more lives through video by telling the stories of the world’s best natural products. We’re already the world’s largest buyer and seller of Natural Wines. We source wines from passionate growers in countries all around the world. It’s our job to tell their stories, as well as create eye-catching ads, educational videos, and more.
More specifically, here are some (but certainly not all) of the responsibilities for this position:
Roles and Responsibilities
This role is focused on taking raw footage shot by our internal media team and turning it into the final product. This means following an outline, script, or shot list and assembling the footage into one cohesive video or film. Often in video and film work, there are many camera angles and takes recorded. It is the responsibility of the Video Editor to review all the footage and create the best output by cutting and connecting various footage, adding sound effects, graphics, type, and fine-tuning the completed video or film.
This role requires understanding of preproduction and filming a story along with detailed editing skills. Your focus will be creating short 15, 30, and 60 sec social ad spots as well as longer-form storytelling videos.
- Working closely with directors to present a final product that matches our vision
- Collaborating with other editors on Adobe Premiere project files
- Following a script, screenplay, or outline
- Ability to take a random pool of video files and assemble your own creative expression of the footage that is compelling and looks professional with little direction.
- Digitally splicing film/video and synchronizing them into one rough cut file
- Experience in assembling and polishing multi camera interview sequences
- Improving and correcting lighting, coloring, and faulty footage
- Creating compelling and interesting GIFs from Photo/Video files
- Adding graphics and type to enhance the end product
- Sound Design
- Inputting sound to enhance footage, which may include selecting music, recording voice-overs, inputting Sound FX, building and maintaining sound FX Library
- Knowledge working with and improving low quality recordings of spoken dialogue audio
- Digital Asset Management knowledge
- Ingesting, organizing, naming video and photo files, and uploading to our servers
- Comfortable with large data sets and culling through extreme amounts of video footage
- Keywording and organizing pre-existing video files by category and type in media management software like Kyno
Requirements to Apply
- You must provide a reel and/or portfolio of work
- You must have at least 2 years professional experience in video editing (any industry)
- Proficient in Adobe Premiere suite (advanced/expert level a plus)
- Experience with Adobe After FX a plus
- Experience with working behind the camera a plus
Attributes of the Ideal Candidate
When we think about the ideal person for this role, a few attributes come to mind.
Here are the main ones ⭐️:
- Strong editing skills
- Effective time management
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Comfortable multi-tasking and tracking multiple projects simultaneously
- Detail oriented
- Creative thinker
- Well organized
- Proficient with video editing software
- Knowledge of creative processes
- Clear communicator
- High energy
- Comfortable with an office work environment
- Comfortable with traveling for work
- Calm under pressure
- Obsessed with video, art, and taste!
We consider ourselves more than a wine company. At Dry Farm Wines, we are a Family that believes in the power of optimal health, good taste, artisan farmers, and a strong community. We meditate together daily, share health advice, indulge in artistic creation, travel to source wines, host large family dinners, and are all elite performers. For us, this is not a business; it’s a lifestyle.
We have a cultural document called the Peace & Profit Manifesto. To better understand us and our DFW culture, here are some of our beliefs.
We Love the people we work with.
This includes all of us, our significant others, Partners, Growers, and Members. We frequently dine together, cook together, and travel together. All of us - including spouses, partners, and +1s - are loved unconditionally. This love and support is our highest value. We radiate this love to each other and, collectively, we radiate the light of this love to the world around us.
Like all healthy families, we also promote and value private time. We support time away to grow with our significant others and time to reflect and recharge for ourselves. We protect each other’s private time and encourage the quiet space needed to grow individually.
We are Creators.
We are obsessed with excellence in our Craft. We all share a deep commitment to both our specialized crafts (i.e. marketing, member experience, accounting, etc) and to the contribution we make to what we call “The Merge” of collective craft.
Mastering our craft requires focus and sharp execution. Supporting everyone else in the development of their craft requires respect and selfless support. As such, when we are individually creating, the environment is quiet, earbuds are often in, and our energy is channeled into the process of creation. If there are conversations, they're about creative output. Our creative energy is maximized when we are "in the zone".
We believe in the harmony of Peace & Performance.
We seek to maximize our creative output while upholding collective peace. We seek a harmony of peace and performance. Our peace provides the freedom to create at our highest frequency. Our creative output is how we share more peace and harmony with our Community and our world. Our lives are a blend of these two values. Our Family life is an outrageously big celebration of life. We turn up the volume. Our Creation time is an intensely focused and finely-tuned machine of productivity and output.
We are Self-Directed.
We are all self-directed, ready to take action without being told what to do. We know failures and mistakes will happen, but we are able to stand back up, take action to recover rapidly, learn, adapt, and continue moving forward.
We always seek to act in the best interest of everyone in the family, ourselves, the organization, and our Members. We act with heart and love. We are all proactive and self-motivated. When there is trash on the floor, we pick it up. When there is a dirty plate in the sink, we clean it. We understand that freedom and autonomy require a high practice of discipline and trust.
We believe in Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion.
Love and Inclusion are our most important values. We are proud to be a Family who believes in love, nonjudgement, and acceptance of all people, no matter anyone’s gender, race, sexual orientation, or background.
As our growers say, underneath a vineyard, everything is connected. Vine roots support each other and share nutrients. Growth happens as one single ecosystem. This is our view of humanity, too. We love our neighbors. We value non-judgement and integrity. We believe we are far stronger together.
We seek to be Extraordinary.
We don’t want to be ordinary; we want to be extraordinary - in our passion, our commitment, our craft, our service, our achievements, and our impact. We love to pull each other up to higher levels of performance.
We take pride not only in being the BEST OF CLASS at what we do; we are focused on being the NEXT OF CLASS at our craft. We are creative leaders. We are category makers.
As you consider your opportunity with us, we hope these guiding thoughts help you determine if our Family is the right fit. You will know, and we will know. From there, we create magic.
As you can already see, we are VERY passionate about our culture. Finding someone who values this type of culture is just as critically important to us as the ideal attributes above.
Our culture is not negotiable. We love it too much. ❤️
If you are uncomfortable with anything we do, that’s okay. We might not be the best fit for you. But if you read this and jump with excitement, then let’s continue:
- We start our day together with a 45-60 minute team meditation and gratitude practice.
- We are all passionate about our health and nutrition, and believe in improving ourselves a little every day.
- We are wildly passionate about natural wine, healthy living, and the TASTE of everything.
- We work passionately to delight our Members and improve their lives.
- We are deeply committed to helping each other develop personally and professionally.
- We are authentic, understanding, reliable, and loving to our Members and to each other.
- We think big.
- We are willing to be vulnerable.
- We celebrate unique individuality.
- We are not afraid to make mistakes.
- We are proactive and are all able to take action without much direction.
- We live with deep passion and transformational action.
- We are caring and non-judgemental.
- We value diversity.
Note: We are located in Napa, CA ☀️. If you don’t already live in Napa, with this role, you get to relocate here! It’s pretty incredible to live where other people vacation 😁. Because our impact and abundance relies strongly on the development of this unique culture, we know we can make the most transformational impact by being together.
To help us both determine if we’re the right fit for each other, we created this list of questions.
Please send your answers to us in PDF format in an email to “email@example.com”. Each answer should only be a few sentences at most. No essays needed. Just short and concise.
Please include the Job Title in the subject line. Please also include your resume in your response.
If you have any questions about this questionnaire or the ongoing interview process, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Here are the questions.
- If you’re hired, what are 2 things you are good at that you can apply in your first three months without very much help or a large budget and would make the Dry Farm Wines media better?
- List all software you regularly use in your media management and video editing workflow. Which of these programs do you have a strong professional understanding of?
- Someone hands you a 10TB hard drive full of unorganized media files shot over the course of 2-3 years that have never been named or put into any cohesively understandable structure. The client says you have liberty to organize the files as you see best fit and create a system to be followed by others in the future. What software do you use, and how do you go about the task of preparing this footage to be organized? Describe your process start to finish.
- What is your favorite edited video that you have created for a previous client/project? Please leave a link for us to watch.
- Admitting failure is tough, but failure is a significant learning experience for us. What is a significant failure you have experienced recently and what did you learn?
- What is one professional and one personal goal you hold for the next 1-3 years?
- Describe a change you’ve seen in yourself over the last 5 years that you love.
- What’s your relationship with health & wellness?
- Describe what the following words mean to you:
- What makes you unique or weird?
- What is a personal hobby you cherish?
- What’s your experience with wine (if any)?
- Are you willing to relocate to Napa? How do you envision your life in Napa?
- Anything else you’d like to touch on that we didn’t ask? The floor is yours...
Now that you’ve submitted the questionnaire and resume, here’s what to expect:
- Application Review. We’ll review your questionnaire and resume and follow up with you within a week.
- Meet & Greet Call. We’ll schedule a brief 15-min interview on Zoom.
- Group Call. We’ll then schedule a 30 minute call with more people from the team. It’s a chance for us to get to know you better, and for you to better know us and our business.
- Project Review. We will assign you a specific project that will help us understand your work product. It will be a project within your area of hire. Then we will schedule a 45 minute video interview to review the project.
- Social Hour. We’ll ship you a box of wine and schedule a social hour! It’s a more casual time to share a glass of wine and get to know each other better. If you have a significant other, we would love for them to join this call as well, at least for a few minutes. Because we’re all so close, we would love for your significant other to meet us too!
- Napa Visit (or Virtual Visit). If we’re all still a good fit for each other, we’ll bring you to Napa for an in-person working interview, or we’ll schedule a “virtual visit” if travel doesn’t work. This is a two day process. You’ll meet many of us and work closely with a group of us on a project that closely resembles what the day-to-day would be like. You will get an intimate close look at us, and how we live and work together to create magic. All expenses are hosted by us for both you and your significant other if they will be relocating with you.
- Together, we will determine next steps.
We deeply appreciate you investing the time to learn about us and share your thoughts and life with us.
With Much Love and Gratitude,
Todd, David, Juan, Tony, Luen, Mark, Ramzy, Gio, Buckley, Jon, Erika, Shawn, Devin, Cesar, Beno, Kayla, David, Mandy, Ximena, Jasiel, Omar, Kristian, Corey, Alex, Rae, Lindsay, Jimmy, Troy, Barbara, Viviana, Aaron, Dalton, Scott, Alexis, Hugo, Jesus, Alejandro, Rosa, Lauryn, Brittannie, Jason, Victor, Erin, Arran, Jonatan, Rush, Alex, Bryan, Juan, Christian, Nyllan, Enrique, Amairany, Salomon, James, Maria, Angela, Sarita, Teagan, Sarah, Erica, Jenna, Nemy, Hayden, Shelby, Grace, Janee, Chandler, Becca, Isaiah, Ronny, Douglas, and Michael